The Oxford Canal
The lift bridge (221) at Thrupp on the Oxford Canal just north of Kidlington in Oxfordshire. Thrupp is a purely canal village - the road stops here! Aubreys Bridge or, as it is sometimes known, Smithy Bridge takes traffic to a car park and tea rooms. Boats passing through the bridge take a sharp left turn to moor or continue on the way to Banbury. This part of the Oxford Canal opened in 1788 and largely follows the course of the River Cherwell. It winds round hills, so locks are well spaced.
A dinghy moored on the Oxford Canal at Thrupp near Kidlington, Oxfordshire. The Oxford Canal, 77 miles long, was constructed in the late 1700s and was opened in stages between 1774 and 1790. The aim was to connect Coventry and its nearby coalfields with Oxford, the Thames and eventually London. It's a contour canal meaning it follows the line of the hills rather than using flights of locks to climb them, resulting in fewer locks overall.
A canalside scene at Shipton-on-Cherwell in Oxfordshire. The Oxford canal here is overlooked by the parish church of Holy Cross. The church and village predate the canal by several centuries - the River Cherwell being the only waterway then! There has been a church here since the C12th but after a number of additions it was demolished in 1831 and the present Gothic Revival one built. The canal arrived in 1788, built to link the Midland canals with the Thames at Oxford and thence to London.