Villages And Towns of Britain
The lane next to the watermill at Goring on Thames leading over the mill race which plunges under the mill, then on to pass under the road bridge to the lock. Turn left at the bridge to follow the Thames Path to Pangbourne. The mill features in a painting by JMW Turner. The Thames here passes through the Goring Gap between the Chiltern Hills and the North Wessex Downs.
The bridge over the River Thames at Abingdon, Oxfordhire. This bridge carries the A415 into the town, travelling from Dorchester-on-Thames. The bridge dates back to 1422 when the first construction was completed. In 1453 three new arches were built and then the whole thing was widened bit by bit in the C19th. It's really two bridges linked by Nags Head Island on which the public house in the image stands. This shows the northern section, the southern, named Burford Bridge, having a wider arch.
A picturesque corner of Abingdon below the abbey mill. On the left are the remaining abbey buildings with the medieval chimney of the Checker Hall. The abbey was supposedly founded in about 675 and later continued as a Benedictine House until it was surrendered to the Crown in 1538 by its last Abbot, Thomas Pentecost,
A view form the bridge at Goring on Thames. The church of St Thomas of Canterbury, dating from the 1100s, lies behind the mill and the millpond which feeds back into the river. Goring, in South Oxfordshire is on the north bank of the Thames directly opposite the smaller village of Streatley on Thames in Berkshire on the south bank. Here the river flows through an opening between the Chiltern Hills in the north and the North Wessex Downs in the south, known as the Goring Gap.
The old abbey buildings at Abingdon, Oxfordshire. This view is of the Checker with its distinctive chimney. This building dates from about the 1260s and is the oldest surviving part of the abbey buildings. The abbey was first founded in the C7th but in the C9th was destroyed by the Danes. Rebuilt, it came to prominence in C10th and at the time of Henry VIII's Dissolution, the abbey was reckoned to be the sixth of the richest in England.
This very elegant town hall sits in the centre of the town of Abingdon-on-Thames in Oxfordshire. The town was once in Berkshire and until 1867 was the County Town. The town hall, now a Grade 1 listed building was constructed between 1678 and 1682. It was designed to house the county courtroom above a sheltered market space. Both the master mason, Christopher Kempster and the clerk of works, John Scarborough were associates of Sir Christopher Wren whose influence can be seen.