Cathedrals, Churches and Chapels
The church of St Andrew's in the village of Chaddleworth in the heart of West Berkshire. There was a church here in Saxon times and some stones from then can apparently be found at the base of the tower. However, the building as we see it is mainly Norman with 13th century additions. The south door is a superb example of decorated Norman work.The village of Chaddleworth lies on the southern slopes of the Berkshire downs on the A338 which runs between Hungerford and Wantage.
The Norman church of St Nicholas at Ibstone, Buckinghamshire. This old church sits surrounded by trees on the edge of the village of Ibstone in Buckinghamshire. Ibstone itself, which is a mere six miles from High Wycombe, is reached through narrow country roads and lies on the top of a hillside in the Chilterns overlooking wooded valleys
Late afternoon sunlight falling on the parish church of St Peter and St Paul in Checkendon, Oxfordshire. The church dates from the C12th and is a Grade 1 listed building. It was probably built by the Normans though aspects of the building styles suggests it might have Saxon origins. Inside there are medieval brasses and early C13th wall paintings. One relatively modern window was designed by Lawrence Whistler (1962). Checkendon village sits in the southern Chiltern Hills not far from the Thames.
Spring flowers are scattered through the fresh green grass in the churchyard at St Laurence church at Tidmarsh in Berkshire. This Grade 1 listed C12th church with its unusual wooden bell cote has a superbly decorated Norman doorway, a Norman font and C13th lancet windows. The box pews lead to an unusual polygonal apse. There are also traces of C13th wall paintings in two window recesses. Just beyond the church the River Pang flows on its way to join the Thames at Pangbourne.
The parish church of St Mary in the Thames-side village of Streatley in Berkshire. It lies very near the river and is almost next to the bridge linking Streatley with Goring. The church dates from the 13th century but was largely rebuilt in the mid 1800s as it was becoming rather dilapidated. However, many of the original building materials were used such as stone and the flint used for facing. At this time the nave roof was heightened and the clerestory windows added to give more light.
The church of St Nicholas in the village of Sulham in West Berkshire. It forms a third of the joint parish of Pangbourne, Tidmarsh and Sulham. The church is in the centre of the village standing next to Sulham House. Originally dating from the C13th , it was rebuilt between 1836 and 1838 by Rev John Wilder, vice provost of Eton College who lived in Sulham House. Originally the tower was topped by a tall spire but this was removed in 1959. In early spring the churchyard is awash with crocuses.
A corner of the village of Cookham which lies on the banks of the River Thames in the north east of Berkshire. Here stands Holy Trinity, the village's parish church with the entrance to the churchyard flanked by half timbered cottages. The church dates from the C12th with additions being added during the C13th. Sir Stanley Spencer, the renowned artist (1891-1959) who lived in the village, set many of his paintings in the locality, the churchyard being the setting of 'The Resurrection' (1924-7).
Seen from the Thames path between Marlow and Henley-on-Thames, the church of All Saints in the riverside village of Bisham in Berkshire, just upstream of the National Sports Centre. The Grade 2 listed church dates from the 12th century, the oldest remaining part being the tower.
Standing on the Thames Path by Wallingford Bridge in Oxfordshire and looking over at the church of St Peter with its elegant open-work spire. The original church was destroyed by fire during the Civil War, the present one being built in the second half of the 18th century. It is no longer used as a regular place of worship.