The Monmouthshire, Brecon and Abergavenny Canal
The lift bridge over the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal at Talybont on Usk. On the navigable stretch of the waterway between Brecon and Pontnewydd, this bridge is electrically operated by boaters. Here the canal is on an embankment above the village street, The Monmouth and Brecon Canal dates from 1799 and was part of a system combined with tramways to transport coal and limestone to Newport.
Pensarn Cottage near Newport on the Crumlin branch of the Monmouthshire, Brecon and Abergavenny Canal. This cottage is situated just below Lock 13 of the Fourteen Locks flight at the point where the towpath changes sides. This arm of the canal was opened in 1799, the flights of locks being a major feat of engineering. Here the canal is at present unrestored and is awash with wild flowers and grasses but work has started on making this a working waterway again.
One of the recently restored locks on the Crumlin arm of the Monmouthshire, Brecon and Abergavenny Canal. This is part of the Fourteen Locks flight taking the canal from Newport to Crumlin. Although disused at the present time, work has started on restoring the locks on this section with a view to opening the whole length to traffic once again.
Bridge 166 crossing the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal as it leaves the basin in Brecon. Dating from the early 1800s the canal was constructed to transport coal and iron to Newport. It also joined with a system of tramways linking mines and quarries to the waterway. It winds its way through the Brecon Beacons, largely following the contours of the mountains as it tracks the course of the River Usk. It is currently navigable to Pontnewydd and plans are in place to extend this.
The western entrance to the Ashford Tunnel on the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal in Powys, South Wales. The tunnel is just east of Talybont, not far from the canal basin at Brecon. The only tunnel on the canal, it is 375 yards long and, as the image shows, is very low giving little headroom for boats passing through. Before the days of engines, boats would have to be 'legged' through whilst the horse was taken over the top. Originally the canal was constructed in the late 1700s to move coal, limestone and iron from the Welsh valleys to the coast at Newport.
The Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal as it passes through the village of Talybont on Usk in Powis, South Wales. This isolated canal which meanders through the Brecon Beacons National Park was originally designed to carry coal and iron to Newport on the Welsh coast. At present the section from the canal basin at Brecon to Pontnewydd is the only navigable part but plans are in place to eventually extend this to Newport.