The monument was built in 1844 in honour of John George Lambton, the first Earl of Durham.The Monument stands 136 metres above sea level. It was designed to be a copy of the Theseion, the Temple of Hephaestus, in Athens. It has also been linked with the Temple of Diana at Ephesus. It is built twice the size of the original. It was designed by Newcastle architects, John and Benjamin Green and built by Thomas Pratt of Sunderland. The Monument is the best preserved model of a Doric Hexastyle temple in Britain. The Marquess of Londonderry presented Penshaw Hill as a suitable site.
Image size: 5511 x 3100, 9.62Mb | Camera details: NIKON D5300 | Date uploaded: 02/08/2018