"Loading..."

Buckinghamshire - Marlow

Chris Day | All Saints Marlow and Marlow bridge

All Saints Marlow and Marlow bridge

The current church is Victorian and replaced the previous one which collapsed in 1831. There has been a church in that general area since 1070
Chris Day | Church of St. Lawrence West Wycombe

Church of St. Lawrence West Wycombe

The 18th century Church of St. Lawrence, with its golden ball on the top of West Wycombe hill, is a well-known landmark, visible for many miles due its hilltop location, visually dominating the village. The church was remodelled by Sir Francis Dashwood inside and out. The hill is known as 'West Wycombe Hill' and was an Iron Age hill fort. Also situated on the hill is the Dashwood Mausoleum, inspired by the Colosseum in Rome
Chris Day | Marlow Bridge

Marlow Bridge

Marlow Bridge and All Saints Church
Chris Day | Marlow

Marlow

Marlow in Buckinghamshire, by the river Thames. Marlow's most famous resident is Sir Steve Redgrave, 5 times Olympic champion. There is an 8 foot high bronze statue of Sir Steve in the gardens near the river.
Chris Day | Bisham Church

Bisham Church

Bisham village, which has been known by various names down the centuries, was recorded in Domesday with its villagers, cottagers, slaves, vines and meadowland. A church was also recorded there, no doubt on the beautiful riverside site of the present building, the oldest part of which is the 12th century tower, the parapet, battlements and brick quoins of which were added in the 15th century. The tower contains three bells dating from 1840.
Chris Day | Marlow Bridge

Marlow Bridge

Marlow Bridge from All Saints Church Graveyard
Chris Day | Temple Lock

Temple Lock

Temple Lock on the Thames near Marlow
Chris Day | Bisham Church

Bisham Church

Bisham village, which has been known by various names down the centuries, was recorded in Domesday with its villagers, cottagers, slaves, vines and meadowland. A church was also recorded there, no doubt on the beautiful riverside site of the present building, the oldest part of which is the 12th century tower, the parapet, battlements and brick quoins of which were added in the 15th century. The tower contains three bells dating from 1840.
Chris Day | Field of Grass on West Wycombe Hill

Field of Grass on West Wycombe Hill

Field of Grass on West Wycombe Hill
Chris Day | Temple Lock on the River Thames

Temple Lock on the River Thames

This lock is quite unique in that when a new replacement lock was built in 1890, the builders left the old one in place alongside it. The old lock was modified with channels to enable light craft, skiffs and punts to be transferred up and downstream.
Chris Day | Marlow

Marlow

Marlow is a town in Buckinghamshire situated on the river Thames
Chris Day | Marlow

Marlow

Marlow is a town in Buckinghamshire situated on the river Thames
Chris Day | Marlow at Christmas

Marlow at Christmas

Marlow Bridge on the River Thames in winter time.
Chris Day | Marlow

Marlow

Marlow in Buckinghamshire
Chris Day | Towards Marlow Lock

Towards Marlow Lock

Towards Marlow Lock on the Thames as seen from Marlow Bridge
Chris Day | Bisham Church

Bisham Church

Bisham village, which has been known by various names down the centuries, was recorded in Domesday with its villagers, cottagers, slaves, vines and meadowland. A church was also recorded there, no doubt on the beautiful riverside site of the present building, the oldest part of which is the 12th century tower, the parapet, battlements and brick quoins of which were added in the 15th century. The tower contains three bells dating from 1840.
Chris Day | All Saints Church Marlow

All Saints Church Marlow

The construction of the present Church of All Saints dates from 1835 and is of Staffordshire brick with Bath stone dressings. The Parish Church, dedicated to All Saints, was built on the site of an earlier one which was demolished in 1832. The date of erection of the old Church is obscure, but records show that a Church existed here at least as early as 1070 A.D. when Saint Wulfstan, Bishop of Worcester, visited the town. There has been a bridge across the Thames at Marlow since before 1227. The present bridge was built between 1829 and 1832 to replace the wooden bridge sited further downstream
Chris Day | All Saints Marlow

All Saints Marlow

The construction of the present Church of All Saints dates from 1835 and is of Staffordshire brick with Bath stone dressings. The Parish Church, dedicated to All Saints, was built on the site of an earlier one which was demolished in 1832. The date of erection of the old Church is obscure, but records show that a Church existed here at least as early as 1070 A.D. when Saint Wulfstan, Bishop of Worcester, visited the town. There has been a bridge across the Thames at Marlow since before 1227. The present bridge was built between 1829 and 1832 to replace the wooden bridge sited further downstream
Chris Day | All Saints Marlow

All Saints Marlow

The construction of the present Church of All Saints dates from 1835 and is of Staffordshire brick with Bath stone dressings. The Parish Church, dedicated to All Saints, was built on the site of an earlier one which was demolished in 1832. The date of erection of the old Church is obscure, but records show that a Church existed here at least as early as 1070 A.D. when Saint Wulfstan, Bishop of Worcester, visited the town. There has been a bridge across the Thames at Marlow since before 1227. The present bridge was built between 1829 and 1832 to replace the wooden bridge sited further downstream
Chris Day | Marlow Bridge and All Saints

Marlow Bridge and All Saints

The construction of the present Church of All Saints dates from 1835 and is of Staffordshire brick with Bath stone dressings. The Parish Church, dedicated to All Saints, was built on the site of an earlier one which was demolished in 1832. The date of erection of the old Church is obscure, but records show that a Church existed here at least as early as 1070 A.D. when Saint Wulfstan, Bishop of Worcester, visited the town. There has been a bridge across the Thames at Marlow since before 1227. The present bridge was built between 1829 and 1832 to replace the wooden bridge sited further downstream