The Orwell is a converted Victorian cotton warehouse at the heart of the Wigan Pier complex. Sadly this pub and restaurant served its last pint in 2009.
The Road to Wigan Pier is a book by the English writer George Orwell, first published in 1937. The first half of this work documents his sociological investigations of the bleak living conditions among the working class in Lancashire and Yorkshire in the industrial north of England before World War II.
This building, dating from 1777, was the Terminus Warehouse. It was used to store grain, sugar, spices and dried fruit. Barges sheltered under its twin arches whilst the cargo was loaded or off-loaded. It is known as Bridge Warehouse. After falling into severe disrepair, the warehouse was rebuilt, brick by brick, in 1984 and is now used as offices.
Wigan Pier was a coal loading jetty where wagons would unload coal on to canal barges and became famous through music hall jokes and its appearance in the title of Orwell’s graphic description of the plight of the English working class in the early 20th century.
George Orwell wrote the book Road to Wigan Pier he was also famous for his book “1984”. The Road to Wigan Pier iwas first published in 1937. The first half of this work documents his sociological investigations of the bleak living conditions among the working class in Lancashire and Yorkshire in the industrial north of England before World War II. In 2017 this statue of George Orwell known as the “bargee” was vandalised, the top of the head was cut off.
Trencherfield Mill is a cotton spinning mill standing next to the Leeds and Liverpool Canal in Wigan, Greater Manchester, England. It was built in 1907. It was taken over by the Lancashire Cotton Corporation in the 1930s and passed to Courtaulds in 1964.
A narrow boat sits quiety alongside the canal path underneath a weeping willow on the Liverpool and Leeds Canal near Wigan.