The old town of Sighisoara in Romania climbs the hill into the fortified part of the town. The buildings show the remains of their vivid rendering and presence which is severely crumbling after years of neglect under the former communist regime. This town was built for foot traffic, horses and small carts. Sighisoara is a World Heritage Site.
Sighisoara, Romania is a World Heritage Site, a wall-fortified hilltop, around which has grown a community, long before the advent of cars. The sharply twisting pathways were used for foot traffic and donkey-hauling and also made accessing the Barbican gate an indirect and confined access. This beautiful old town exudes character.
Old Sighisoara is a hill fortress town built in the former area of Saxony which became part of Romania after WW1. It is a World Heritage Site. The Barbican is a tower and gateway complex which secured entry into the hill fortress, the other sides protected by steep cliffs and other watch towers. Sighisoara is in process of being restored using heritage funds provided by the European Union.
Sibiu is an former part of the Kingdom of Saxony, now incorporated into Romania. The town has many beautiful squares, arcades, churches, towers and has been extensively renovated, returned to its former glory in the post-Communist years. The towers have portals between the squares they straddle. Sibiu was designated European Capital of Culture in 2007. Well worth a visit!
The Agapia Monastery is one of many painted monasteries in the Bucovina district of Romania. These are walled and defended monasteries which have accomodations and services around the interior walls with a beautifully decorated basilica in the Orthodox style freestanding at the centre. Agapia is occupied by nuns.
This wooden windmill is in a gathered collection of preserved rural farm buildings and is typical of mill construction in Romania
Sighisoara is a World Heritage Site being restored from its degradation from the Communist years. Boldly painted plaster work is a feature of the town and its many nooks and crannies make for a photographer's dream. However it is still very much a place where people live and work and this is expressed in the young lads chasing through the streets.
The defensive walls and observation tower of this monastery, occupied by Nuns since its foundation in 1531, protects at its centre a Basilica which is quite unusual, having no tower or spire on the Basilica roof. The Basilica is like so many in this region richly painted with biblical themes.
Opened in 1601 the Monastery at Sucevita, west of Suceava in Bucovina, is one of the several painted, walled and defended monasteries found in the region. The basilica at the centre is typical for an orthodox church in form but remarkably painted stonework is everywhere inside and out, telling biblical stories.
Finished in 1601, the defensive walls, accomodations and painted Basilica of Sucevita lie to the west of Suceava in Bucovina, Romania.